Learning Targets for the week are:
1) I can adapt my speech to a variety of of tasks and contexts.
2) I can determine the author's point of view and explain how it is conveyed through the text.
3) I can use evidence from the text to support my analysis of what the text says and inferences I make.
4) I can explain how a particular chapter/scene fits into the overall structure of a text and contributes
to the development of the theme, setting, or plot.
Activities for the week will include:
3) Presentations of Expository Writing ("How To" Paper)
4) Library Day will be on Wednesday 10/2. The NONFICTION Reading Guide is due that day.
5) We will begin our first class novel, the Newbery Medal winning Holes by Louis Sachar.
Throughout the novel, students will also be reading NONFICTION articles that tie
into the topics within the novel, as well as writing on these topics.
6) I will end each class by reading aloud to students from the novel Summer of the Swans
as we discuss literary elements, author's point of view, predicting/confirming, and
determining vocabulary in context.